River Keepers has been advocating for the Red River since 1990. They are a local nonprofit that works with the Red River of the North primarily in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN. They create awarness, appreciation and stewardship of the river, encourage recreation, develop economic opportunities in the River corridor, encourage development of recreation amenities, and educate residents about the river and it's environment.
If you're looking for a few ways to to enjoy the Red River in Fargo-Moorhead, you've come to the right place!
Reforest the Red
− Volunteer to plant trees and shrubs along the Red
− June 5 in Moorhead and September 9 (backup September 10) in Fargo
− Project partners: Fargo Park District, City of Fargo, City of Moorhead, Clay Soil & Water Conservation District, Cass County Soil Conservation District
− More information: riverkeepers.org/projectsactivities/reforest-the-red/
Race the Red
- Canoe and kayak races with multiple distances. All skill levels welcome. Registration encouraged.
- 6:30 p.m. on June 1 (backup June 8) at Dike East
- More information: riverkeepers.org/projectsactivities/race-the-red/
To check out river events, visit the River Keepers Facebook page.
Get Active ALONG the Red River!
-10 miles of single lane mountain bike dirt trails along the river
- Paved riverfront trails in both Fargo and Moorhead running through many parks with beautiful scenery
- Various types of bikes for rent at Lindenwood Park in Fargo
- FM Metro Area Bikeways Map: fmmetrocog.org/fmbikemap
Public Golfcourses along the River
- El Zagal in Fargo
- Search for your favorite bird or take part in Bird Counts
- More information: Dakota.audubon.org
-The Red River has over 80 species of fish
- Guide to Fishing The Red River of the North
Disc Golf (full list of courses)
-More information: contact Josh Johnson at 701-306-2816
- Learn more about the Red River while playing River Keepers geocaches
- River Ed (ID# GC5BE5) multi cache with 3 locations
- River Ed 2 (ID# GC5Z0T5), multi cache with 2 locations
- Red River Watchable Wildlife (ID# GC7MEBA), large with trackables, in partnership with the Red River Zoo
- Go on the Fargo-Moorhead Official GeoTour
- Groomed trails at M.B. Johnson Park,Gooseberry Mound Park, and Viking Ship Park
- Nordic Ski and Snowshoe rentals at M.B. Johnson Park
- More information: moorheadparks.com
- Groomed trails at Edgewood and other parks (see Riverfront Parks)
- Ski, snowshoe, and sled rentals available at Edgewood Park
- More information