Visiting Fargo with your dog? We don’t want your canine friend(s) to miss out on all the fun. Here’s a guide to dog friendly spots in the Fargo-Moorhead area! If you’re looking for other pet services (grooming, training, boarding, etc.) in Fargo-Moorhead, check out Fargo Monthly’s Pet Guide.
The F-M Visitor Center
The Visitor Center is more than happy to allow your dogs to come in for a visit and take a photo with the Woodchipper! Your pup can get a treat from one of our Travel Ambassadors while you enjoy a bag of popcorn and some coffee. We even have “Bring your Dog to Work” day on Friday so there might be some furry friends to play with. *Warning – most of the Travel Ambassadors are dog lovers so watch your pooch closely so they don’t walk off with them
These off-leash dog parks will help your canine run off some energy along while encouraging some socialization with other local dogs.
- Brandt Crossing: 5009 33rd Ave S, Fargo, ND 58104
- Village West Park: 4415 9th Ave Cir S, Fargo, ND 58103
- Yunker Farm Dog Park: 1257 28th Ave N, Fargo, ND 58102
- Dike East Dog Park: 100 2nd St S, Fargo, ND 58103
- Centennial Dog Park: 2600 15th Ave N, Moorhead, MN 56560
Favorite Parks for a Walk
MB JOHNSON PARK
MB Johnson Park is known as one of the best hiking spots in Fargo-Moorhead due to the 2 miles of trails that are well groomed by the Fargo Moorhead Trailbuilders Club. Bonus tip – Although many owners let their dogs run around without a leash, it’s best to bring a leash along as you are going to be walking right near the river.
Conveniently located south of I-94 in West Fargo, Rendezvous Park is a great stop on your way out west. With almost a mile and a half paved loop, it’s a good stop for any level walker. Bonus Tip – Look out for the low water fountains for your dog throughout the park.
Right along the Red River, Lindenwood Park allows for a very wooded and scenic walk that is perfect during the hot summer afternoons. Check out the self guided Lindenwood Park Tree Tour where you can walk along and spot the different tree species. Bonus tip – Head towards the north end of the park to find a bridge across the river from North Dakota into Minnesota!
BUFFALO RIVER STATE PARK
Located 14 miles east on highway 10 from Moorhead, Buffalo River State Park is the closest state park to the area. With 12 miles of hiking, you could spend a lot of quality time with your pup throughout Minnesota’s western prairie. Bonus tip – On your way back into town, stop by the Moorhead Dairy Queen for one of their handmade original Dilly Bars for you and a pup cup (ice cream with a Milk Bone surprise) for your dog!
Dog Friendly Patios
- Wurst Bier Hall
- Vinyl Taco
- JL Beers
- Rosey’s Bistro & Bar
- Fargo Brewing Company
- The Empire
- Bismarck Tavern
- Fort Noks Bar of Gold
- Toasted Frog
- Red Raven Espresso Parlor
- Twenty Below Coffee Co.
- Front Street Taproom
- Tailgators Sports Cafe
South Fargo/West Acres
- Lucky’s 13 Pub
- Fargo Cork ‘N Cleaver
- Sweet Rings Donuts & Deli
- Prairie Brothers Brewing Company (also allows dogs indoors)
A Local Treat
- Natural Pet Center: The Natural Pet Center provides healthy food for your furry friends. They specialize in all natural food and treats that help your pet stay healthy and active. They even have Brew Chews which are locally made gourmet cookies for your dog made from combinations of grains from the home brewing process. Your dog will love the taste and you’ll be helping out a local start up!
- Other spots you can grab a treat for your canine:
Starbucks: Puppuccino – small cup filled with whipped cream
Dairy Queen: Pup Cup – Small serving of soft serve ice cream (sometimes with a Milk Bone)
Culvers: Milk Bone in a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Sonic: All Sonics allow dogs, some even bring dog treats to your car with your meal
Indoor Areas to Bring Your Pooch (especially during our chilly winters)
- SCHEELS: You can take your well-behaved pooch for a stroll around SCHEELS as you shop for some hunting & fishing supplies or local sports fan gear! Just make sure they are on a leash and do not make their way into Gramma Ginna’s Coffee and Fudge shop.
- Barnes and Noble: Bring your canine into Barnes and Noble to check out their newest book collections!
Dog Friendly Events
You can view our full events calendar by clicking here, but these are a couple events in Fargo-Moorhead that dog owners and dog lovers should be sure to check out:
- Hair of The Dog: Dog Expo: Events and booths outside of Fargo Brewing Company all catered towards your pup! Hair of the Dog: Dog Expo Part 2 will take place on August 5th!
- Furgo Dog Run: During the week of the Fargo Marathon, take on a 1.5 mile course with your 4-legged friend in the Furgo Dog Run!
- Weiner Dog Races @ Oktoberfest: One of the best events during Oktoberfest in Downtown Fargo is the Weiner Dog Races that take place at Old Broadway!
- Doggy Dip: Let your dog cool their paws with the annual Doggy Dip! $2.50/dog and proceeds go to the Moorhead Dog Park.
Dog Friendly Hotels
To see a list of pet friendly hotels in the Fargo-Moorhead area, click here. Also, here are some hotels that go above and beyond for your 4-legged family members:
- Red Roof Inn: This hotel does not charge a fee to bring your dogs with on your trip. They also welcome them in with a treat!
- Clubhouse Hotel & Suites: The Clubhouse is very accommodating for your pet, they also do not charge a fee for your pet and they give out treats for your furry friends when they arrive.
- Element by Westin: Not only does the Element provide treats to welcome in your pet, they also provide “Heavenly” dog beds because no dog should ever have to sleep on the floor 🙂